How long your roof will actually last depends on many different factors, including the climate in your region, how much attention you pay to roof maintenance and the average lifespan of the material used. Talk to local Danville roofing experts for the specifics of your needs to determine what will work best for your home or business.
In the meantime, in general, here is how much the different materials can be expected to stay on your building among ideal circumstances:
- Asphalt shingles – the solution is affordable and attractive and it comes with an average life expectancy of 20-30 years;
- Metal – the sheets and shingles made from various metal alloys can protect your building for about half a century. The most expensive type of metal roofing, copper, can last for up to a century;
- Clay and cement tiles – these attractive and durable materials can easily last for more than a century. If you are planning to use clay or cement for your new roof, make sure that your building is suitable for receiving the new roof – both materials are quite heavy and can be used only on buildings that can hold the extra weight;
- Built-up roofs – these roofs consist of alternated layers of bitumen and gravel or other aggregate and with proper maintenance, they can live for 20-30 years;
- Wood shingles – the material is not cheap and it is not recommended for buildings in very humid and very arid areas. In the right climate area, wood shingle roofs can last for 30-35 years.
Leaf guards are simple, but ingenious, modern solutions that keep any debris away from your gutters. Here are the benefits of installing gutter guards:
- Solutions for any gutter – leaf guards come in many different types, including half pipes that fit into the gutter pipe to hold up any debris, such as leaves, twigs and dust or guards that look like thick tubes made from sponge or like brushes;
- Keeping all debris away – debris accumulation jeopardizes the efficiency and the health of your gutter by forming clogs that prevent the flow of water and that accumulate moisture, drag down your gutter pipes and damage the interior of your gutter pipes. Danville roofing gutter guards prevent all these issues by preventing the accumulation of any debris in the gutter pipe;
- Easy cleaning – gutter guards need to be cleaned regularly to eliminate the debris that they hold up, but they are much easier to clean than gutter pipes – most types can be removed with one quick movement on the hand and the debris they have accumulated can be swept off or shaken off easily;
- Prolonged life for your gutters – new gutters are not cheap, so the small investment into gutter guards will protect your investment into your gutters. Gutter pipes that are not directly exposed to the elements live longer and protect your home more efficiently.
If you are planning to get a new roof installed, an important part of the planning process should be the selection of the roofing material – if you are choosing the Palo Alto roofing material for your California roof, here are the factors that you should take into consideration:
- The climate – California has varied climate conditions, some areas are hot and arid, others are cold and there are Mediterranean and continental areas as well. Before you choose your roofing material, assess your climate region in terms of temperatures, the average amounts and the types of the precipitation that your region gets and the extreme weather events, such as strong storms or wildfires that your roofing will need to endure and evaluate available roofing materials based on these criteria;
- The color – the hue of your roofing will determine not only the overall appearance of your property, but the energy-efficiency of your roof as well. Light colors reflect heat, while dark hues absorb it, so choose a shade of beige, cream or light green for a roof in a hot area and a dark brown, terracotta, navy or black roof for colder regions;
- The costs – asphalt shingles are the most affordable roofing materials on the market today, followed in the line by metal panels, then clay and cement tiles, with natural materials, such as wood and slate being at the higher end of the range.
Weatherproofing your roof can be somewhat difficult and it might also turn out to be expensive. However, you’ll find that it brings a lot of advantages that most homeowners don’t even tend to think about.
Let’s start with the cons. Weatherproofing can be a unique type of job that depends on a lot of factors. The roof you own, the climate and weather in the area you live in and the specific problems you have with your roof will make it hard even for an experienced weatherproofing San Ramon roofer to determine exactly what the best variety of weatherproofing might be for your roof. Also, depending on the system and roofing products you opt for, weatherproofing can be quite expensive in some cases.
On the other hand, weatherproofing can greatly extend the lifespan of your roof by protecting it from the elements. The right type of coating will protect your roof from harmful UV radiation and from large pieces of hail that might otherwise cause extensive damage. Problems like pooling and damaged flashing will also go away.
Finally, the great thing about weatherproofing is that it also adds an extra protection for your home. Leaks are less likely to happen, so your home will not lose any heat during the winter, and well-designed cool roof weatherproofing will also cause UV rays to bounce off your roof, so they don’t get absorbed in the summer, which would cause your home to heat up.
Adding insulation to your house might seem like a simple matter that isn’t worth much attention. If you live in a mildly warmer climate, such as the warm, subtropical climate of Florida or California, then the issue of insulation won’t affect you too much. However, in colder areas and places like Colorado, where the winters can get quite harsh at times, it’s a good idea not to ignore the importance of insulating your home.
First, it’s important to clear a few misconceptions:
- Adding insulation acts as a buffer that traps heat inside your home or keeps it out. It doesn’t actually cause your home to heat up more efficiently in the winter – not directly at least.
- Not all areas of your home will respond the same to additional insulation. For instance, it’s not a good idea to insulate your walls and ignore your attic and ceilings.
- Insulation can still be quite expensive, depending on how much insulation you add.
That being said, properly insulating your home can have the excellent effect of increasing the amount of time your home stays warm or cool – depending on your preference. That means it will take less energy to heat your home to a certain temperature, and more time for that temperature to drop.
As a result, having San Jose roofing contractors add extra insulation will greatly diminish your electric and gas expenses, and it will also reduce the amount of strain on your heating unit and water heater. That also means less money spent on repairing or replacing your heating systems in the long run.
We often hear about real estate experts recommending things like buying an expensive new roof for $40k or installing a brand new outdoor kitchen for $10-15k. However, those costs can’t always be handled with ease, and if you just want to remodel part of your home and do so on a budget, the following recommendations might suit you better:
- One thing you can try is to install new fixtures and re-tile your bathroom. The great thing about this remodeling effort is that you don’t have to go all out, and you can gauge how much you spend based on the supplier you get your new bathroom fixtures and tiles from. However, the result will be a beautiful bathroom that you can show off with pride.
- Buying new kitchen cabinets can also work to your advantage, if you know how to spend your hard-earned cash on less expensive cabinets and shelves. You can then store your items neatly and eliminate the clutter from your kitchen. Combined with an added paint job and maybe a few new light fixtures, it can be the optimal low-budget kitchen remodel for your home.
- You can also consider painting the exterior of your house instead of buying new siding. Paint is less expensive and with the addition of some better insulation products, you can still keep your home warm and protected, while making it look good at the same time.
- And finally, although a new roof is not an inexpensive project, a new roof installed by home improvement San Jose roofers can add resale value and quality to your home.
In some countries around the world, rooftops have long been used for purposes other than simply protecting buildings against the elements, but in most places, especially in cities, the roof is generally considered to be nothing more than a cover for the building. If you have a rooftop that is solid enough to allow for safe moving around, here are some great ways to transform the roof into a productive space:
- Use it as a garden – in some buildings, transporting water to the roof can be challenging, but the effort is surely worthwhile. You can use larger or smaller planters, the important thing is to choose plant varieties that can resist heat and dryness;
- Recreational areas – roofs are great for creating recreational spaces as well. All you need is a couple of chairs, a table and a large umbrella or a portable gazebo for creating shade;
- An area where you can entertain your guests – roofs are great for hosting parties as well. You need to make sure that the roof is completely safe for the number of people that you want to invite and installing rails on the sides is a great way to further increase safety, too.
Talk to professional Pleasanton roofing contractors for all your roofing design services.
Whether you prefer jokes that rely on irony, jokes that make fun of personality traits, that involve funny situations, jokes based on wordplay, parody, nonsensical situations or hyperbole, you can surely find your favorite in jokes about roofs or in jokes that involve roofing. Here are some:
- Two antennas decided to get married and they decided to do it on the roof. The ceremony was short and simple, but the reception was great;How does your roofer find out all your family secrets? – He is eaves-dropping;Why do the roofers who specialize in tile roofs find it so difficult to get out of bed in the morning? – Because they are bedded in mortar;
- What is the most important thing that keeps roofing teams together? – Trussed;
- An old cat is walking on the roof. A young cat notices him and asks him where he is going. The old cat says that he is going to the bar to drink. The young cat asks whether he can go, too and the old cat agrees. They keep walking, then the young cat stumbles, rolls down the side of the roof and barely manages to catch the gutter edge. He is hanging there for a while, then he says: “I am drinking for a couple of seconds more, then I go home”.
Contact reputable San Jose roofers for quality roofing services, and if you are lucky, they can share a couple more jokes with you!